Final Fantasy Versus XV Megathread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I don't see why he'd hold a grudge when current FFXV has more in common with E3 2013 gameplay wise (even with differences) than Versus XIII, and Nomura was still there during that year with Tabata until December.
Well, this game was supposed to be his magnum opus. Yet from reports, corporate didn't like his version of the game for whatever reason. However, they didn't dislike so much as to discard it completely. So they eased Tabata into the role of director and slowly pulled the game away from Nomura. Then he got to direct the VII remake without his agreeing to it allegedly. Kinda weird to be in charge of a project suddenly without anyone giving you any forewarning. Maybe they thought that would ease the blow? I'm not really sure. This is all just speculation. All we really know is that Square-Enix does have a history of mismanagement. Outside of that, it's really murky waters. Just slightly fun to speculate.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Even if it was to be his magnum opus, it isn't like all of his ideas were completely disgarded (and lets be honest Nomura's not the type of guy who is afraid of changing things up himself). After all the team made statements on adhering towards Nomura's vision as much as they feasibly could, regardless of execution. Yoko Shimomura even acknowledged this when she commented on Versus XIII and FFXV's base story being very similar overall despite changes here and there.

In my perspective the situation really isn't as simple as Nomura being slowley yanked away for Tabata to seize control, and it has been highlighted before that Nomura puts a lot of trust into his co-directors while admitting to having flaws managing projects on his own. As for that VII Remake commentary, the timing is very ambigious as to when it happened, and we have to remember that 2013 was the year of S.E. facing company restructering among staff and such. Hence the Business Divisions being born.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Tbh i'd rather it be Ito and Nomura given a break after VII Remake, they've given him way to many projects thrown at him to juggle with that i can't help but feel he'd be exausted at this point.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
https://www.psu.com/news/34094/uncharted-4-development-troubled-history-surfaces

just another example of how a game can change during development due to many reasons.

Immediately after Hennig’s departure, Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra called Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley into a meeting to tell them that she was gone. Both Druckmann and Straley wanted to work on other games they’d been playing around with prototypes for a sequel to The Last of Us and Straley in particular was feeling burned out. But when asked to lead the development of Uncharted 4, they said they’d do it on one condition: they needed full creative control. They weren’t interested in finishing the story that Hennig had started, and while they’d try to salvage some of the characters (like Sam and Rafe) and environments (big areas in Scotland and Madagascar), they’d also have to throw out a lot of work that Uncharted 4’s team had done so far.

more at the link, and there's a video with the original story

SPOILERS from Uncharted 4

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Where in the rules are indicated that only in speaking English?

Ei pidr. Idi mamke svoei esho pogaluisa, 4to tya musora obigaut. ;)
I just added an explicit explanation to the rules, though in the context in which I asked you to not it comes pretty firmly under the "don't be a dick" rule ("just generally don't be condescending, mocking or rude. Chat with people, don't be exclusionary.") I also deleted a bunch more posts. Any more questions?

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Versus had a cool concept and all no doubt, but seeing as the updates for next year barely got approved by senior management at Square Enix, I really don't think they're gonna do a reboot.

The company most likely just wants to move on from this project tbh.

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Versus had a cool concept and all no doubt, but seeing as the updates for next year barely got approved by senior management at Square Enix, I really don't think they're gonna do a reboot.

Absolutely. The interview with Eurogamer intimated that this second year of updates is an investment in implementing a GaaS model while refining the engine for BD2's next project. SE is willing to continue this because FFXV most likely exceeded internal expectations. And the fans get additional content. Everybody wins.

I also think it's clear -- if these leaks have a modicum of truth to them -- that most of Versus made it into FFXV anyway; thus a reboot would be pointless. We'll have to wait for the PC mods for the rest.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I also think it's clear -- if these leaks have a modicum of truth to them -- that most of Versus made it into FFXV anyway; thus a reboot would be pointless. We'll have to wait for the PC mods for the rest.
mostly of the Versus material is there indeed, what changed is how the material was presented (darker/tragic before to a lighter journey in FFXV)

ending chapter was very Versu-ish in this regard tho.

Last edited:

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown

Well you aren't paying for the updates remember and you gotta understand that solely BD2 is working on the updates and it's delaying their new IP

A reboot can be done by new staff, Nomura at the helm and at another time.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Well you aren't paying for the updates remember and you gotta understand that solely BD2 is working on the updates and it's delaying their new IP

A reboot can be done by new staff, Nomura at the helm and at another time.
For the in game updates, I think those are free. There was talk about a second season of DLC though, so those will most likely have a price tag on them.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Absolutely. The interview with Eurogamer intimated that this second year of updates is an investment in implementing a GaaS model while refining the engine for BD2's next project. SE is willing to continue this because FFXV most likely exceeded internal expectations. And the fans get additional content. Everybody wins.

Hard to say most of the Versus stuff made it into XV when you have to cut three games worth of it.

A reboot wouldn't exactly be pointless as there would probably be major plot points, characters(Etro, Umbra's human form, and whoever else ended up getting cut)
You can't smoosh 3 games worth of content into one game and say most of it is there. Especially when you had to relegate some of it to other things such as movies and an anime.