Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Perhaps. I think it all depends on how they design it though.

FFVII is pretty ambitious. This remake, from the sounds of it, will be even more ambitious. It's really something to think about. So much to content to create for such a big world. How long will it take to make? Will this actually make it out in time for FFVII's 20th anniversary? I'm not betting on it but who knows! ;)
I would want them to take their time rather than them trying to meet an imaginary simbolic date deadline.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
My only "fear" with this combat system change would be Materias being gone. But that's highly unlikely unless the want to be eaten by fans and especially because Materias are hugely important for the lore and the plot, even in the Compilation.

So, even if like said, would have preferred a new take on ATB (which could still be, sure), I'm really curious and excited about this, although not very confident. Let's see how everything develops. Winter is so far away, though...

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
All that time wasted on that engine and thire abandoning it...
Luminous development (in its originally intended form) never really got off the ground. I think it was something that Wada was very interested in, but the new management chose to suspend work before having invested too much money in it. FFXV is simply a custom engine built around the requirements of that game.

On the other hand, the research into AI and real-time CG can still be reused, albeit within another development environment (as a module for Unreal Engine or whatever. They could even work with Epic to get it done). That's what they've been doing on FFXV to begin with - building a custom renderer that incorporates some of the researched techniques.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Everything points to Luminous Engine being a disaster so it's probably for the better. Of course they won't get back all the wasted resources but it's better to back out now than when it's too late. Unfortunately, it's already too late for FFXV.

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
Agni's Philosophy doesn't run off Luminous (in its currently intended form) in the first place.

There's no doubt that substantial work went into real-time CG research and that there's a high-end development environment capable of showing it off. This was created in preparation for a future game engine that has since been cancelled. Nevertheless, there's no reason that they can't incorporate that research into a different environment.

For FFXV, the team's job was to create custom tech around its requirements while adding some of those techniques into the mix (or "porting" as some describe it). FFXIV 2.0 was successfully completed in a similar way, hence the billing as a sister engine to Luminous.

Effectively, they already backed out before FFXV.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
The engine in its current state wouldn't be able to be used for any game anyways. If it is going to be used moving forward, it won't be until XV is complete, so it not being in VII Remake should come as no surprise to anyone, with or without development issues.

PlayerUp

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 27, 2014
It sounds like they intend to make alot of changes not just upgrading the graphics which I'm sure many are upset about. The combat system obviously being the biggest one. I'm fine with changing as long as they are done correctly. I don't think any of us want to see a 5 minute Knights of the Round Summon again and again and again. My take on the changes that need to be done here:
  • Making the game open world so you can fully experience every aspect of FF7's world.
  • Voice acting as long as it's done correctly, the right actors. No text. Sephiroth and Cloud obviously the biggest.
  • Open and more advanced combat system while keeping the foundation of FF7 materia system in place.
  • Mini Games can be completely redone
Things the shouldn't touch
  • Soundtrack
  • Changing the characters personalities
  • Storyline
I'll stop there. Could go on and on about this.