Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
^ those pics are awesome

that was nice, it wouldn't be hard to put tons of soldiers in the citadel and noctis alone using armiger unleashed with the debug mode.

edit:

http://ffxvcaps.tumblr.com/page/3

apparently tabata went to the SE cafe in osaka and made an interview a few days ago.

said ignis parents and gladio's mother were there in insomnia pre-invasion

also ignis played the piano, together with noctis; he wants to show a scene with them playing the piano eventually
I imagened a prologue scene with Noctis leaving the train station to go to the Citadel.
In this section you meet first with Prompto and make coments of how nervous they're about the journey while you walk a little section. This shows you the movement and interaction controls.
Then they reach the citadel and Drautos tells Regis is occupied and you should take some time to train with Gladio meanwhile.
You go to a sparring area in the citadel and meet Gladio there, who teaches you the combat like in the tutorial.
Once finished Gladio is called out by his father and lets you alone there, when Nix comes and says to test you into a match (you can lose). This makes his appearence at the ending more fitting.
With the fight done, you go to see your new costumes, where Iris and Jared are introduced and give you the costumes (Iris coments she made herself to look like yours).
After that you hear the piano, go to explore where it comes from and see Ignis playing it. Noctis approach him and starts playing Somnus at his side, with the rest of characters watching. Then Noctis see Regis standing next to the door with a sad smile and he keeps playing till Gladio's dad tells something to Regis and they both go. Showing how Noctis is sad for how his father can't be there for him (this is shown by his face. No dialogue during the scene).
Then you go to the throne room and the cinematic of the begining starts, going the rest as it is right now.

With this introduction the characters and their situation are set and you don't need to go to the tutorial with Carbuncle.

Damn i want this to happen T.T

PD: Also you could see Libertus, Cor and other characters walking around the Citadel, but not giving them that much of atention.

Is this one of the rumored sites where the developers watch for feedback? Now i want them to see this xD

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I thought they were scrapping that engine.
I haven't heard anything of the kind. As far as I'm aware, they've been improving it with the prospect of future projects using it rather than it being a one-game creation.

Not FF news, but Tabata got his own studio, Luminous Productions. They'll be announcing their new projects later this year. This pretty exciting.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/square-...studio-luminous-productions-led-hajime-tabata
This could be very interesting. They're relying a little more on subsidiary and third-party studios rather than keeping everything strictly in-house this generation. I'm interested to see what Tabata will show us this year. Possibly a sneak peak of his next gen project.

This kind of subsidiary tactic could also enable the return to other IPs that SQEX's previously left alone so they wouldn't be a drain on main resources such as Crystal Chronicles (which has been a moderate commercial success) or returns with fresh teams to Ivalice or the FNC.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
apparently tabata went to the SE cafe in osaka and made an interview a few days ago.

said ignis parents and gladio's mother were there in insomnia pre-invasion

also ignis played the piano, together with noctis; he wants to show a scene with them playing the piano eventually
...is Tabby an Evangelion fan? XD;

Not FF news, but Tabata got his own studio, Luminous Productions. They'll be announcing their new projects later this year. This pretty exciting.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/square-...studio-luminous-productions-led-hajime-tabata
I'd say this is well-deserved at this point. Way to go Tabby! ^_^

I thought they were scrapping that engine.
A bunch of antis ran with that assumption when KH and FFVIIR were switched to UE4, but Luminous has proven itself well worth the investment by now.

I mean, look what BD2 have been able to produce in one year -- three episodes featuring a new and unique character (two of which included small open worlds and significant setpieces), two significant expansions to the main quest, two festivals with unique mechanics and setpieces, two new forms of transportation, a character-switch mechanic, a feature-complete multiplayer mode with a fantastic character creation tool, a PC port that is probably the best-looking game that anyone's produced, a meaningful datalog, cutscene additions, and more. The engine clearly hasn't been holding them back!

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
They are using Unreal 4 for the main FF franchise or at least FFVII Remake. Good, he won't touch another FF. Tabby is good and I generally like his work but he's not the best at story-telling.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
wonder what their next project looks like, i really hope they didnt scrap that Agni's Philosophy concept...
Agni's Philosophy could work as a game, and I will say I would like a game based on what that tech demo had shown, and Agni herself looked interesting, as well as that monster that she and whoever she was working with were summoning, as well as what was happening in that trailer, but we'll see what happens, but that concept has potential for a great story depending how it would be utilized.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I imagened a prologue scene with Noctis leaving the train station to go to the Citadel.
In this section you meet first with Prompto and make coments of how nervous they're about the journey while you walk a little section. This shows you the movement and interaction controls.
Then they reach the citadel and Drautos tells Regis is occupied and you should take some time to train with Gladio meanwhile.
You go to a sparring area in the citadel and meet Gladio there, who teaches you the combat like in the tutorial.
Once finished Gladio is called out by his father and lets you alone there, when Nix comes and says to test you into a match (you can lose). This makes his appearence at the ending more fitting.
With the fight done, you go to see your new costumes, where Iris and Jared are introduced and give you the costumes (Iris coments she made herself to look like yours).
After that you hear the piano, go to explore where it comes from and see Ignis playing it. Noctis approach him and starts playing Somnus at his side, with the rest of characters watching. Then Noctis see Regis standing next to the door with a sad smile and he keeps playing till Gladio's dad tells something to Regis and they both go. Showing how Noctis is sad for how his father can't be there for him (this is shown by his face. No dialogue during the scene).
Then you go to the throne room and the cinematic of the begining starts, going the rest as it is right now.

With this introduction the characters and their situation are set and you don't need to go to the tutorial with Carbuncle.

Damn i want this to happen T.T

PD: Also you could see Libertus, Cor and other characters walking around the Citadel, but not giving them that much of atention.

Is this one of the rumored sites where the developers watch for feedback? Now i want them to see this xD
libertus and cor appear on the Parting Ways novel so that would be fitting

theres a conversation between Regis and Clarus that i really wished it was made into a scene.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
They are using Unreal 4 for the main FF franchise or at least FFVII Remake. Good, he won't touch another FF. Tabby is good and I generally like his work but he's not the best at story-telling.
I don't think he should be completely booted off from doing another FF, maybe just take a break from it and come back with better writers & hopefully improved story telling from his new IP while under a less strict deadline.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I don't think he should be completely booted off from doing another FF, maybe just take a break from it and come back with better writers & hopefully improved story telling from his new IP while under a less strict deadline.
I agree, perhaps his new IP could do better than FFXV, with a more coherent and cohesive story, with a more fleshed out world and characters, I still love FFXV, but there's no denying the flaws it has, but we'll see what happens. Alos, I just finished the Pitioss Ruins, which I tried starting yesterday only rage-quitting due to a screw up, and I finished it a few minutes ago, and that was hard, especially with falling off platforms, but really intricate, and the lore in regards to Pitioss being an ancient training ground with inter-dimensional space-time distortions put into it by Solheim made it even more interesting, and I was thinking; what if Episode: Ardyn was as hard as Pitioss or harder than Pitioss? I'm not saying it will, but what would you guys think if it was?

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
I agree, perhaps his new IP could do better than FFXV, with a more coherent and cohesive story, with a more fleshed out world and characters, I still love FFXV, but there's no denying the flaws it has, but we'll see what happens.
Have you had a chance to play 3rd Birthday or Type-0? It wasn't FFXV story that was the problem but the way he presented it. The story is actually pretty good but he's not good at world building/ lore and generally makes his story aspects of his games barebones.

Alos, I just finished the Pitioss Ruins, which I tried starting yesterday only rage-quitting due to a screw up, and I finished it a few minutes ago, and that was hard, especially with falling off platforms, but really intricate, and the lore in regards to Pitioss being an ancient training ground with inter-dimensional space-time distortions put into it by Solheim made it even more interesting, and I was thinking; what if Episode: Ardyn was as hard as Pitioss or harder than Pitioss? I'm not saying it will, but what would you guys think if it was?
I think that explanation of Pitioss was interesting but kind of lame. The Ifrit statues make it seem like there was more to it than just a training ground. I think Ardyn's DLC will be about him acquiring Ifrit in the Rock of Ravatogh and the backstory of him and the fall of Solheim. I think if they had a segment like Pitioss in the Ardyn DLC would be interesting but I doubt they would make that a DLC. No one would buy it.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
He's stated in interviews ( I think he was with Sakaguchi) that he doesn't want to do another FF.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Congrats to Tabata on the new studio. He deserves it. I'm slightly sad that this means we will not be getting another Type-0 game, however. It seems this new studio will be focused on developing new IPs and/or assisting with other games in development at Square-Enix.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Have you had a chance to play 3rd Birthday or Type-0? It wasn't FFXV story that was the problem but the way he presented it. The story is actually pretty good but he's not good at world building/ lore and generally makes his story aspects of his games barebones.

I think that explanation of Pitioss was interesting but kind of lame. The Ifrit statues make it seem like there was more to it than just a training ground. I think Ardyn's DLC will be about him acquiring Ifrit in the Rock of Ravatogh and the backstory of him and the fall of Solheim. I think if they had a segment like Pitioss in the Ardyn DLC would be interesting but I doubt they would make that a DLC. No one would buy it.
I did play some of Type-0, but I never finished it because I kept putting it off, but I like FFXV's story and lore better, especially Ardyn, although I agree with the flaws, especially the black screen transitions which are jarring, and the story needs more work, as it's presentation is not good and wonky. That being said, though, I'm interested in seeing what Tabata comes up with next, and I do appreciate that Tabata is trying to improve FFXV, but I feel not everyone will be satisfied with the game by the end of the DLC's development, although I do love FFXV, especially since this game was the one that got me into Final Fantasy, even thoug hI played a little of FFX and VII, but never finished the former, and after I beat FFXV and enjoying it, I finished FFVII, and bought FFXII for the PS4, and enjoyed it an dbeat it, so yeah, FFXV has a place in my heart, despite it's flaws, and FFXV, FFXII, and FFVII are currently my top three FF games. I never played 3rd Birthday, as it's a reboot of a series I never played, and it doesn't sound like my type of game.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
yes im aware of his other games problems, i have to admit he's my least favorite director when it comes to storytelling; but what i think he does right are the endings (Crisis Core, Type-0, FFXV have nothing short of memorable endings), dialogues and relationships in FFXV were believable and i liked that.

he definitely have some talent, and the stories of his games are good and interesting but are just not presented well.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
yes im aware of his other games problems, i have to admit he's my least favorite director when it comes to storytelling; but what i think he does right are the endings (Crisis Core, Type-0, FFXV have nothing short of memorable endings), dialogues and relationships in FFXV were believable and i liked that.

he definitely have some talent, and the stories of his games are good and interesting but are just not presented well.
This is pretty much my viewpoint as well, especially in regards to FFXV, it's story is interesting, and sounds great when you read up on it, especially the lore and the characters, but the story and characters are not presented well, and Chapter 14, at least the revamped version for me that the Royal Pack brought in, was one of the best things in the game, and my number one favorite chapter of the game, especially as final battles of a game are as important as the stories, and the story content it had, and I also really like FFXV's lore, especially in regards to Solheim and Ifrit, especially since the former is an ancient nation and it really piqued my interest in the game even more and I would like to know more about Solheim in the future and Pitioss Ruins are very intricate and very interesting, especially with how Solheim worked in space-time distortions into it, and it really wows me, and the fact that it uses fire and water to represent life and death, with fire representing life and water representing death, and building temples and paying tributes in the Vesperpool through the Steyliff Grove, and that also intrigues me on the ways of their life, and how they went rogue after the Astrals and development of Magitek, and the latter had an important role and one I really liked, which I did want in the game, especially after reading the strategy guide and Ultimania as I felt it was vital to the story, and we got that in the 1.16 update.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://www.impulsegamer.com/final-fantasy-xv-windows-edition-review/
Unlike many of its siblings, Final Fantasy XV is not really about empires or kings. It isn’t about magic or monsters—or even really about people. Final Fantasy XV is about four friends, the bond they share, and the power that such friendships have to improve the world.
i think this sums up perfectly what the game tried to achieve, and explains why also felt lacking... maybe it focused too much on the brotherhood part for a story that had so many elements.

currently, Windows Edition achieved 85 on meta
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xv-windows-edition/critic-reviews

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017

i think this sums up perfectly what the game tried to achieve, and explains why also felt lacking... maybe it focused too much on the brotherhood part.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xv-windows-edition/critic-reviews
Yeah, I do think the team did their best, and brought out an interesting, but lacking in several areas, but enjoyable.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Type-0 was built using Nojima's FNC and was primarily written by Hikori Chiba (WoFF, DoC FFVII) and Sarah Okabe. And 3rd Birthday was written by Motomu Toriyama and Toshimitsu Takeuchi. Tabata's involvement in 3rd Birthday'#s story was non-existent, and for Type-0 it was fairly minimal.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Type-0 was built using Nojima's FNC and was primarily written by Hikori Chiba (WoFF, DoC FFVII) and Sarah Okabe. And 3rd Birthday was written by Motomu Toriyama and Toshimitsu Takeuchi. Tabata's involvement in 3rd Birthday'#s story was non-existent, and for Type-0 it was fairly minimal.
I'm aware who wrote the stories of those respective titles. Yet, the role of the director is to adapt the script. Which is the issue. The story of Type-0 is actually really interesting yet the pacing and general execution isn't. The same with FFXV. Just to be clear, I really liked FFXV, it's in my top 5 FFs. Yet I generally question Tabata's competence. For example he thought it was important to have the opening scene with Ifrit because it was a pivitol point in the game, yet in the vanilla version of FFXV Ifrit presence is never explained, like at all, other than he betrayed the other Astrals. You would think that such an important character would have at least 2 or 3 lines of dialogue explaining his presence and it's not something that needed to be patched in a year later.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018

i think this sums up perfectly what the game tried to achieve, and explains why also felt lacking... maybe it focused too much on the brotherhood part for a story that had so many elements.

I prefer to have the comradery aspect as it is instead of the option of taking out some of it's elements to fill other gaps in the plot.
At the end FFXV did something better than anyone, and i prefer a little piece of content that feels unique and great than having a game without flaws but nothing unique to offer.