Why Nobuo Uematsu Must be Involved in FFVII Remake Music

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DailyFillup

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 5, 2015
Manhattan, New York City
Hey everyone - this is my first thread here. I made this video to put into words why I think Nobuo Uematsu should be involved in the FFVII Remake. I've had lots of people agreeing with me, but also those who favor Shimomura to arrange for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ishimoto, even Okabe or Hamauzu. I'm very curious who you guys want for the project since you all seem to be the most well read fans I've come across. My full argument is in the video:

Do you agree?

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I agree with you completely, and I really like the time and effort you took to put this video together and how you explained yourself. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you here, I would hope so anyways.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
He said he wants to. But at the same time I don't feel like he needs to be heavily involved, just make him supervise or something like he did for X. They just need to rearrange/remaster it like X. I think that trailer is proof the soundtrack holds up really well. Seriously, first time I got goosebumps.

DailyFillup

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 5, 2015
Manhattan, New York City
I agree with you completely, and I really like the time and effort you took to put this video together and how you explained yourself. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you here, I would hope so anyways.
Thank you so much Leon - I really enjoyed making it, I usually put my FF videos on my channel but I did this particular one for the LifeStream. I really hope a great deal of other fans want him too - I know some modern fans prefer the more prominent composers of newer games but to me Uematsu really is the core of some of the deepest emotions of that game.

He said he wants to. But at the same time I don't feel like he needs to be heavily involved, just make him supervise or something like he did for X. They just need to rearrange/remaster it like X. I think that trailer is proof the soundtrack holds up really well. Seriously, first time I got goosebumps.
I agree, for me he just needs to be even a reference, though I'd prefer him to take the original work to new levels with what he's learned as an artist - much like the rest of the staff are who made the original FFVII.

He. Has to. Enough said.
I'm with you there my friend!

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I generally speaking don't really agree; Uematsu isn't much of an arranger or sequencer (even on FF7, people like Minoru Akao did much of the sequencing of Uematsu's compositions) and is more a visionary composer; I would like him to return if there's any requirement for new pieces, but if it's just a recreation of his old work with some rearranging, I'd be fine with him not being involved, to be honest. Takeharu Ishimoto has been building towards this with his excellent arrangements of Uematsu's work for the complilation.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
^ I feel like synths are integral to the mood of VII so I actually wouldn't want the songs to go all orchestral.

Not that the soundtrack should be techno remixed either but I wouldn't want Midgar sounding like chamber music. Synth instruments would actually be really appropriate in this case.

The hard part is getting that gritty sound right without making it sound too old. The first thing I think of when I recall VII's soundtrack is the heavy use of vibraphones/glockenspiel and synth strings.

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada
^ I feel like synths are integral to the mood of VII so I actually wouldn't want the songs to go all orchestral.

Not that the soundtrack should be techno remixed either but I wouldn't want Midgar sounding like chamber music. Synth instruments would actually be really appropriate in this case.

The hard part is getting that gritty sound right without making it sound too old. The first thing I think of when I recall VII's soundtrack is the heavy use of vibraphones/glockenspiel and synth strings.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with synths, but certain tracks just need to be orchestrated (such as the world map theme...however it fits in in the remake's context)

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net

I really agree with this, but I think the tone of the game will be significantly different that they can forge a new sound with new instrumentation of the same music. I do think the tone of the synths used (much more realistic ones are later used in 8/9) really helps define FF7. The strings are sublime in their basic nature.

DailyFillup

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 5, 2015
Manhattan, New York City
I generally speaking don't really agree; Uematsu isn't much of an arranger or sequencer (even on FF7, people like Minoru Akao did much of the sequencing of Uematsu's compositions) and is more a visionary composer; I would like him to return if there's any requirement for new pieces, but if it's just a recreation of his old work with some rearranging, I'd be fine with him not being involved, to be honest. Takeharu Ishimoto has been building towards this with his excellent arrangements of Uematsu's work for the complilation.
I agree that Ishimoto is very capable and has done great work, but he has his own style. It will sound fantastic, but it will also sound different. Just like Shimomura, Hamauzu etc, they all have musical signatures and idiosyncrasies that you can identify even in their arrangements of others' work. Of course I'm getting into the nitty gritty but I think we all love the original feel of the game. One thing I'm all for however, as long as they do homage to Nobuo's work appropriately, is building a new image and sound entirely with this game, which is the most likely scenario.

As long as he's at least supervising, and they use real instruments this time (what the hell were they thinking with FFX), I think everything will be fine
I agree my friend, unfortunately there's only one thing that's gets associated with synths, and that's a low budget/lack of resources. For instance, if Star Wars had synths... Well, yeah. I wouldn't be quite the same. People forget that it wasn't an artistic choice to work with synths, it was a limitation, and Nobuo has said as much. I do trust in whatever they do though, since they seem to really be putting time and quality into this project; they must know what it carries.